Garden Centre Temporarily Closed. More details below:
We are not going anywhere… we are simply adapting!
THE GARDEN CENTRE is temporarily closed,
but essential supplies from Pet Foods and Seacroft are available in the space next to the Food Hall.
We might be closed but we want to help you keep busy and active:
Gardening can be a helpful way to keep mind, body and soul together in a time of crisis…
While we are confined to our homes, if you can, use your garden as much as possible.
Gardening can keep you fit, and is good for your mental wellbeing.
Limit news and spurious ‘fake fews’ scare stories on social media, and enjoy you own patch of nature.
Here are 8 benefits of spending time gardening in the coming weeks!
- Home Grown Self-Esteem.Maybe you’re someone who has always felt his or her thumb to be conspicuously not-green. But after tilling, planting, nurturing and harvesting plants, you might see a slightly different person in the mirror. A person who can grow things. A person a little more in tune with the earth. A gardener, whose thumb does seem to emit a shade of green after all!It always feels good to accomplish new tasks, and if you can grow a garden, what can’t you do?
- Gardening for Heart Health.You’re burning calories and strengthening your heart when you’re out in the garden.According to WebMD, ‘Activities such as gardening, do-it-yourself projects and housework may be as good as formal exercise when it comes to reducing the risk for heart attack and stroke.’ Now that’s quite a bonus.
- Gardening Reduces Stress.A Dutch study asked two groups of people to complete a stressful task and concluded that gardening for 30 minutes after said task resulted in lower cortisol levels. Cortisol is the hormone associated with stress. Feeling stressed about the news? Get in your garden and help the stress melt away.Stress is a HUGE health risk, so this benefit of gardening is a big deal, folks.
- Happiness in the Dirt.How does a dynamic, beautiful landscape that you know intimately, that you are in fact responsible for creating, make you feel? Probably pretty happy.There’s also a scientific reason that gardening makes you happy. Studies suggest that inhaling a healthy bacteria (M. vaccea) that lives in soil, can increase levels of serotonin and reduce anxiety. Apparently you get a dose it just by taking a walk in the wild or rooting around in the garden and this could help elicit a jolly state of mind.
- You’ll Sleep Better.Studies suggests that the light activity associated with gardening can help you sleep better at night.Sleep is so vital to good health; this is a benefit you shouldn’t ignore.
- Improved Hand Strength. All that digging, planting, and pulling does more than produce plants. Gardening activities will increase your hand strength. What a great way to keep your hands and fingers as strong as possible for as long as possible.
- Gardening for Family Health. Gardening can be a solo activity, or an opportunity for bonding with your family and friends. The happiness and stress relief that gardening provides is a great thing to share with loved ones. Also, gardening has special benefits for kids. Early exposure to dirt has been linked to all kinds of long-term health benefits from reducing allergies to autoimmune diseases.
- Growing Vegetables for Financial HealthIf you do it right, you can save a lot of money on food by growing your own. To save the most cash by growing your own produce, grow vegetables that are expensive to buy and vegetables that you can easily store or preserve by canning, freezing, dehydrating, or pickling.
New ranges, beautiful styles, great quality at the right price
We Stock David Austin Roses
We are proud stockists of David Austin Roses. Our extensive Rose collection also includes Peter Beale’s Roses as well as a huge selection of standard, occasion and shrub roses.
Check out our comprehensive range of Johnsons Seeds. Premium ranges of flower and vegetable packet seeds; fantastic collections which feature truly different varieties for you to grow captivating flowers and authentic vegetables from around the world.
Johnsons genuinely care about their customers and insist that the quality of all seeds are of the highest standards. Johnsons seeds are proud to introduce to Johnsons Garden Centre our fabulous range of herbs from our Jekka’s Herbs Range as well as our RHS range of seeds.
Fantastic range of house plants.
Lotus Everlasting Flowers
A Huge selection of artificial flowers from Lotus.
Earn points while you shop…
If you are a loyalty card holder, as well as earning points every time you shop that convert into cash discounts at the till, we also send you rewards in regular mailers which include exclusive discount vouchers…!
Have you got a loyalty card yet? If not, sign up and start earning those rewards TODAY!
Fantastic choice and great value!
PLANTS – We stock a huge range of plants all year round.
With fantastic offers every week, and experts on hand to advise – Johnsons is Bostons No.1 Garden Centre.
We provide useful tips and advice in store and in our newsletter.
There are always great offers in store on plants and compost – including our ‘Plant of the week’ deals.
Johnsons has the biggest and best range of roses localy. Lots of varieties, including heritage roses from Peter Beale’s collection.
Garden Tools, Machinery, Chemicals, Accessories
We stock all the tools, Stihl machinery & gadgets plus all essentials you need all year round. If you want loppers, a wheelbarrow, fertilizer, gloves, a hose, brooms, shovels, spades or a hoe; we always have what every gardener needs.
We have a great range to suit all tastes and budgets.
With BBQ’s, firepits and pizza ovens, we have lots of options for making the most out of your garden.
We have the largest range of water features in town.
Pots and Planters
We stock a huge range of pots and planters and always have great deals.
Opening Hours: 9am-6pm Monday – Saturday
Closed: Christmas Day & Boxing Day, New Years Day and Easter Sunday