Christmas Trees – Guide
WE ARE OPEN DURING LOCKDOWN...
The biggest range of trees in locally. Top quality that won't break the bank!
There is nothing like the smell of a real Christmas tree to make a room feel ‘Christmassy’!
Real Trees – Available from Saturday 28th November
Sustainable sourced, our real Christmas trees are lucious and beautiful quality and the prices are really fantastic.
- Nordmann – Premium and Superior
- Norway Spruce – Extra Large Trees available to order
- Potted: This year all potted trees are ‘grown in pot’ which means they are healthier and will transplant well.
How do I choose the right size?
- Although it’s industry-standard for Christmas trees to be measured by height only, width is equally important to consider in finding the right tree for your home. Is it going into a big hallway or along a narrow corridor?
- Typically the taller the tree, the bushier and wider it will be at the base. Taller and wider trees will be heavier and more difficult to manoeuvre into position too.
- Height is usually measured from the base to the last group of side branches at the top, so a 6ft tree will actually be taller than 6 ft if you measure to the top spike!
- Remember, your stand may add up to 6 inches of height!
- The typical British ceiling is 8 ft with larger ceilings of (often older) houses going up to 9-10ft.
- Avoid the temptation of choosing a tree that’s taller than you really need as you’ll just end up having to cut off part of the base and remove some of the lower branches, which may spoil the shape of your tree. A tree that’s too wide or too tall will ultimately make your room look smaller.
- If you’re determined to get a tall tree of 7ft+ you’ll likely need a step-ladder to decorate it!
How Much Do Quality Trees Cost?
Prices start at £25. All our trees are fantasticality and value – available in Premium or Superior quality
All our trees are fantastic quality- selected for their beautiful shape & condition; and none of the trees at Johnsons will break the bank!
Average height (6-8ft) premium ‘Non Drop’ Nordmann cut trees are available between £25-£39
Superior 8ft Nordmann trees our top end cut trees
Which Tree is for me?
Nordmann – The most popular non-drop tree on the market – Premium cut, Superior cut & pot grown
- Key Feature: Best variety for non-drop
- The Look: Thick, glossy, dark green needles. Beautiful bushy shape.
- Fragrance: No
- Cost: Slightly more expensive than the other varieties, but at Johnsons, still amazing value. With a Nordman it is fair to say, you get what you pay for!
- Other: Great for homes with pets or children
Norway Spruce – The ‘Classic’ Christmas Tree – Cut
- Key Feature: The classic ‘Christmas Tree’ for decades – until recently the best selling variety in Europe.
- The Look: Beautiful bushy shape. Short, thin, dark green needles.
- Fragrance: Rich, coniferous fragrance
- Cost: Fantastic value for money. This variety is great if you are on a budget.
- Other: We can order Norway Spruce in extra Large sizes. Please talk to Garden Centre staff for more details. The needles will drop over time especially in a very warm environment so we suggest you buy this variety mid to late December unless displaying it outside.
Blue Spruce – Pretty, wintery colour – Cut & pot grown
- Key Feature: Good variety for non-drop, and distinctive colour. Our potted Blue Spruce are ‘grown in pot’.
- The Look: Thick, spikey, blue/green needles. Beautiful, natural symmetrical shape.
- Fragrance: Yes
- Cost: Mid range.
- Other: Strong branches great for heavy orniments. Spikey needles so be careful with small children and pets.
Johnsons Top Tips for Keeping Your Christmas Tree Beautiful
- Size – Trees are measured and sold in feet. there is a margin of 6 inches (15cms) either way. When you buy a 6ft tree, it could be up to 6ft 6 or a little smaller than 6 ft. Always account for the stand when measuring – add at least 15cms for this.
- If you find your tree is too tall – use a handsaw and trim from the bottom, removing some lower branches in necessary.
- Keep the tree wrapped when placing it in the stand. It will be much easier to secure it without branches in your face!
- When you have your tree secure and unwrapped, leave it to stand for 12-24 hrs before decorating so all the branches can settle into position.
- Treat it like cut flowers! Using a hand saw, take 2-3 cm’s off the bottom of a cut tree to allow it to take up water better. Keep it well watered.
- Position in a cool place – especially for a Norway Spruce – away from radiators or other heat sources and the tree will stay looking great for longer. Even a Nordmann will lose it’s gloss over time if it is too hot.
- Put lights on first! New style LED lights are the safest, the most ecconomical to run and the best. Available in Warm White, Cool White & various colours, you can buy them in a simple string, or get real bang for your buck by investing in ‘cluster lights’ with large numbers of lights per foot.
A huge range of great quality and great value trees, in all sizes, shapes and styles.
- luxury super realistic ‘superior everlasting’ trees
- fibre optic trees
- white & black trees
- narrow trees for smaller spaces
- budget trees